Friday, November 8, 2013

Campus as a Runway? (Fashion Friday)

Hi Everyone!

As I sat reading an article from my textbook for my Socio-Psych Aspects of Dress class inspiration hit me for what to write about today. The article was about college campuses becoming runways and inspiring fashion. What I am going to talk about is my campus where I am in the Midwest and try, if possible, to relate it to the schools being talked about in the article. So...

Let's Get Started!


If someone were to ask me what do college kids on your campus usually dress like my answer will always be school t shirts, sweatpants, and sweatshirts, along with cowboy boots and jeans. Trust me we are not the central place to find new and emerging fashions by any means. The more I looked around though and really paid attention to people the more I noticed yes some people here take pride in there appearance.

 
No you will not find girls in head to toe Ralph Lauren or Chanel. What you will find though are girls that take pride in being fashionable and wearing what is trendy through the use of fast fashion (thought I would through a term from my homework in there). Fast fashion is when clothing inspirations are taken from a runway and mass produced in stores so that people can purchase it at a lower price point. These are places such as H&M, Forever 21, Zara, and Topshop. That I guarantee if you look hard enough you will find on my campus and any other campus.
 

It is as simple as some people care and some people don't. At seven AM do you care enough to come to class at eight and look presentable or like you rolled out of bed and couldn't care less. I know you are told to never judge a book by its cover but impressions are made within the first few seconds of meeting someone and there is no way around that or a way to avoid it. Being in a major that deals with fashion maybe I am more critical about what people decide to spend there day walking around in or maybe it is because I care and do not understand why other people would not.
 
 
Going back to what I discussed previously about finding fashion on my campus, as I thought about this article and people on my campus in my head I thought no my campus is not a runway people here don't care about the way that they look or what is fashionable. But truly thinking about it there are people that do care. I know this from looking around at most of the girls in my sorority or most of the girls in my apparel classes. There are some people that care. I can even think of times where I have gotten my style inspiration from some of these people.
 
 
My overall though is that yes campus is a runway anywhere that you go can be considered a runway because without a doubt at least one person will look at what you are wearing. They will either check you off as you don't care or you are fashionable. I know I sound very superficial right now but we all know that it is true and at one time or another we have all labeled someone as being unfashionable or asked ourselves "what were they thinking" Some people don't take the time that others do in getting ready in the morning. No I am not saying you have to be the most fashionable person out there or take hours getting ready but instead presentable and not just in sweatpants and a sweatshirt everyday.
 
 
I think I believe this because you never know who you will run into or meet. I cannot tell you how embarrassed I get if I am in sweatpants or something and people ask me my major because right away I know there are assumptions that are unavoidable. "This girl wants to go into fashion, but she is wearing sweatpants." I would like to know what your take on everyday dress is. Do you agree or disagree or am I completely crazy. I am not saying that I am a leader in fashion but I put effort in the way that I look.
 

I can say that this post did not end the way I envisioned it but I started typing and didn't stop. I wanna make sure it is clear that I do not think that everyone has to have one particular style and that instead should love what they are wearing and take pride in it. Also what is considered fashionable one place is not always fashionable everywhere else. What I am getting at is the effort and consciously thinking about what you put on your body for everyone to see during the day. Because like I said impressions are made in the first few seconds of meeting someone and you never know who you will meet.
 
 
Thank you so much for reading and taking a look!
New posts every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, & Sunday.
Please leave your comments down below because I love to see and read them!
 
~Rachel
 
Follow me on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, your blog is lovely! I have nominateed you for the Liebster Award!
    You can find the details in the link below:
    http://cityymermaid.blogspot.com/2013/11/liebster-award.html

    Have a great day!
    xoxo Franchesca

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and this also gives me a chance to check out other blogs if you leave a link to yours as well! I always try my best to respond to all and check out the links you leave!