Friday, November 15, 2013

Does Fashion Matter? (Fashion Friday)

Hi Everyone!

Today I thought I would make a post kind of like my post last Friday where I shared my opinion relating to fashion. This is just mainly an add on to my post Campus as a runway but more about what fashion means to me and why I am majoring in Apparel Merchandising.

Let's Get Started!

Fashion, lets start off by what exactly is fashion. Fashion, according to the dictionary, are clothing styles: style in clothing, hair, and personal appearance. So as much as anyone wants to say they do not care about fashion it is apart of everyone's life on a daily bases. Fashion forms your identity and you discover your identity through it. No, forming your identity is not only done through clothing but it does play a huge part. For example you would not find someone who is a nurse walking around the hospital in a sweatshirt and jeans. You would find him or her in scrubs because at that time being a nurse is there identity and there role. It shows everyone who you are at a particular moment.
 

Fashion is a way to express yourself. Clothing can make you feel confident and good about yourself when you put it on. Many other things can make you feel good as well but this is different because for the whole day it can give you a completely different mindset.
 

In one of my classes, Socio-Psych: Aspects of Dress, we had to do a project. This project was about dressing out of context. So you could wear mix matched clothes, oversized or to small clothes, formal attire, or something that is associated with a different age group. Basically it just had to be not normal for you to be wearing. I cannot tell you how nervous I was for this project and did not want to do it, but never the less I had to and did. What I choose to do was dress up formally since I thought I would be less self conscious about it. That though was not the case. Walking across campus at eight in the morning in bright pink heels and a white dress, not to mention a freezing Monday morning, was not in the slightest bit normal.
 

Since I am not the most confident person in the world I use clothing as a way to feel comfortable and confident. But that morning all I could think about was what I was wearing and how uncomfortable I was and wanted to change. I couldn't even concentrate on anything else,what I was wearing was the only thing on my mind! This did show me how much what I wear impacts me every single day. I never worry about what I am wearing when I am confident in it but when I am not, it is the only thing that I could think about.
 
 
Like that experiment displayed fashion matters and it is what makes you, you. This is why I want to go into fashion. One thing I love is going shopping with my friends and playing stylist because I love picking out things for others to wear. When you see someone walk out in something that they love you can see it just be looking at them. I want to be able to do this and give people a reason to walk taller and confident, may it just be for a night where they get to be all glammed up.
 
 
So, to answer my question, yes, fashion does matter. Fashion matters to some more than others but it matters. It has to, it is apart of our everyday lives whether you want to believe that or not. It has been apart of our lives since the day we were born. Think about it first day of school, school pictures, dressing up like a princess, homecoming, prom, and your wedding. Fashion plays a big role in those things. So I say dress up and wear something that you are truly confident and comfortable in everyday, feel as if you could take on the world.
 

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
-Coco Chanel
 
 
Thank You so much for reading and taking a look!
New posts every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, & Sunday.
Please leave comments down below about what you thought because I love seeing them and hearing from you!
 
~Rachel
 
Follow me on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and I actually read every single word of it. I hate it when people underestimate fashion, they'll say it's useless and a waste of time, but fashion actually expresses yourself, even if you're someone who doesn't really think about what you wear

    yetanothermakeupblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colors :)

    Hey there, i have nominated you for the liebster award, you can find more info at my blog lailahh.com
    have a great day x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your feedback and this also gives me a chance to check out other blogs if you leave a link to yours as well! I always try my best to respond to all and check out the links you leave!