Monday, November 17, 2014

DIY: Recycling Old Candle Jars

Hi Everyone!

For some reason this weekend I was in an extremely crafty mood. What I decided to do was take an old candle jar that I had laying around and recycle it into something else. I originally wanted it to be used for tea lights but in the end I changed what I wanted to use it for. I am going to take you through cleaning out the candle and then the crafty part of it that I did. 

Let's Get Started!


Let me start with what you will need to make a candle jar like the one I have done.
Brush
Mod Podge
A Candle Jar
Jewels 
Glitter
Tea Light (Optional)

Now to get your candle jar cleaned out this is the best way I have found to do it.
Stick your candle in the freezer. it doesn't need to be long 15-20 minutes.
Then when you take it out take a knife and push on it and it will crack it. Do that a few times and start digging out the pieces and they should come out fairly easy.
Now you may still have the wicks at the bottom run them under hot water and pull them off then proceed to clean out the jar and dry it off and you are ready to go.


My first step was to mix the two glitters that I had. I had white and silver and needed to mix them otherwise I would not have had enough glitter. 
Then take a paper plate or anything else you can just throw away and pout out some mod podge onto it. 


What you are going to do is using the brush take the mod podge and cover the bottom half of the candle jar with it using a pretty thick coat. 


What I originally tried to do was to roll it in the glitter but that did not work out so well. It worked a little bit but not great so in the end I had to sprinkle the glitter over the jar.


Next line the top of the glitter part with mod podge and attach the jewels to create a line around it. 


The final step is to apply the mod podge on top of the glitter. This will create a seal so that the glitter will not fall off on your hand or anything else if you were to touch it. It will look like glitter is coming off but trust me it is not. 
Make sure you are dabbing it on though and not painting it on otherwise the glitter will come off.
It will probably take overnight to dry but just be patient it will dry clear.


Like I stated above I was going to use it as a tea light but I love it and instead am using it as a makeup brush holder. 

-------

Thank you so much for taking a look and reading!
New main posts every Monday and Thursday.

| Rachel |

Also go ahead and follow me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your feedback and this also gives me a chance to check out other blogs if you leave a link to yours as well! I always try my best to respond to all and check out the links you leave!